BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Biochemistry) (Full-Time)

Course Overview

Biomedical scientists develop new treatments and therapies for human illnesses, diseases and disabilities. Operating theatres, accident and emergency (A&E) and many other hospital departments would not function without biomedical scientists. For example, in A&E, you would work in the blood sciences department, testing emergency blood transfusions for blood groups and samples from patients who have overdosed or had a heart attack.

Biomedical science is at the heart of medical breakthroughs in healthcare and could cover anything from creating artificial muscles from cells to treat diseases and illnesses, to looking at the brain to understand stress and anxiety.

  • Entry Requirements

    The course is suitable for students who have a keen interest in science and who have a minimum of five GCSEs grade A-C, including Mathematics, Additional Science and English at grade C or above.

  • Career Prospects

    Possible careers include biochemist, radiologist,
    radiographer, audiologist, chemist, biologist, paramedic,chiropractor, healthcare, chemical engineer, forensic science.

  • Course Modules

    This course consists of 60% coursework and 40% is exam based and some of the units are biomedical science, principles and applications of science, genetics, diseases and infection, science investigation skills, laboratory techniques, physiology of human body systems, contemporary issues in science and organic chemistry. There are seven core units and six optional.

  • Assessment

    You will be required to undertake a programme of assignments throughout the course, which will include assessment of practical skills and the ability to work safely. It is essential that you are well organised and meet deadlines. This accounts for 60% of the course. The remaining 40% of the course is externally examined in the form of written exams and controlled assessments.

  • Additional Costs

    There will be additional course-related costs.

Study Mode



Neath College

Course Length