1. What are the differences between school and college?

In many ways, school and college are similar. Attendance at classes is compulsory, students are required to meet all deadlines for the submission of work, and students are expected to behave in a responsible way so that they do not prevent others from learning. NPTC Group of Colleges’ Code of Conduct outlines the rules and regulations which we expect students to conform to. There is no upper age limit; we have many adult students at NPTC and, although most attend courses designed for adults, we welcome them on all our courses.

It is possible, therefore, that there may be adult students in some classes; adult students are nearly always very committed to their course and work hard, so they set an excellent example to 16-17-year-olds! Students are treated more like adults and are expected to behave responsibly and treat other students and staff with respect.

  1. I am concerned about the personal difficulties my son/daughter/young person is facing. What should I do?

If you think the college can help, you are more than welcome to contact your son/daughter/young person’s Personal Tutor or Course Co-ordinator, the College Counsellors or Student Services. If appropriate, we will signpost you to a relevant agency outside the College.

  1. How much work will be given?

This will vary from course to course, but all students on full-time courses should be spending some time each week on work outside classes, which can include research for assignments and extra/supplementary reading as well as set homework. Less than 10 hours a week would be unusual, and homework will, of course, increase at certain periods of the year, such as prior to examinations or assignment deadlines. If you are concerned that your son/daughter/young person does not appear to be spending sufficient time studying, please contact their Personal Tutor or Course Co-ordinator.

4. Will a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma allow progression to University?

Yes. BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas are equivalent to 3 A-Levels. Ask your son/daughter/young person to call into Student Services for more information on university entrance requirements.

  1. Who should I contact if I have concerns about my son/daughter/young person’s progress at College?

Please contact their Personal Tutor or Course Co-ordinator in the first instance. If you would like to meet the Head of School, please contact them to make an appointment using the telephone numbers shown at the front of this booklet.

  1. Will I still be able to carry on receiving Child Benefit if my son/daughter/ young person stays on at College?

If your student is 16, 17 or 18 and learning full-time, you will still be able to carry on receiving Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits. For more information, go to www.hmrc.gov.uk

  1. What eating and drinking facilities are available?

A wide variety of meals, snacks, and drinks are available in College from Monday to Friday. These are available in the Refectory on each site. Vegetarian options are available.

  1. What should I do if I have a concern?

If you do have any concerns about any matter concerning the NPTC Group of Colleges, please contact your son/daughter/young person’s Personal Tutor/Course Co-ordinator in the first instance. We do recommend that you talk through the problem with the tutor or the Head of School, as on most occasions we have found this is the best way to resolve problems. However, if you are unable to resolve your concerns with the Tutor or Head then please seek further advice and guidance from Student Services.

  1. Who do I contact if I have a concern relating to religious, cultural or equality issues?

In the first instance, please contact the Senior Student Involvement and Diversity Officer who will be happy to discuss any matter related to equality or diversity.