Also available as a Part-Time option – please select ‘Click here to contact us’ for more information.
The AS Level / A Level Ancient History has been designed to help learners develop their understanding of the ancient world and the legacy of the ancient world in today’s society.
A Level in Ancient History will enable learners to:
– develop a broad and extensive interest in the military, political, religious and social history of the ancient world
– acquire in-depth knowledge and understanding of selected periods of ancient history and use this knowledge and understanding to formulate coherent arguments with substantiated judgements
– understand Greek and Roman history in the context of their neighbouring civilisations and the interrelations of these civilisations
– explore and evaluate the significance of events, individuals, issues, identities and societies in the history of the ancient world
– understand the nature of historical evidence from the ancient world and its scarcity to build an understanding of historical periods studied and the methods used in the analysis and evaluation of evidence
Students should develop:
– an understanding of how the ancient past has been represented by ancient historians
– an understanding of historical concepts such as change, continuity, causation, consequence and significance within the context of the historical periods studied
– an awareness and understanding of relevant historical debates and how these can be investigated
– the ability to make connections and draw comparisons between different periods, individuals, issues, identities and societies
Learners taking the AS Level in Ancient History will need to study significant events, individuals, societies, developments and issues within their broad historical context.
Applying for AS Levels or A Levels? Click ‘Apply Now’ on any ONE of the subjects you are interested in studying. Complete the online application form, where you will be asked to specify your other two choices. Then book an Interview appointment to meet the tutors and discuss your preferred choices.