As general rule you will take three or four AS or equivalent subjects in your first year at college; pursuing three of these to a full A Level qualification at the end of Year 2. We’ll help you make your subject choices and agree the most appropriate programme of learning when you apply to study with us.
- There are two parts to each A-level qualification. An AS (Advanced Subsidiary) qualification makes up the first year and an A2 (full A-level) qualification is awarded at the end of the second year
- Most full A-levels are made up of between four and six modules. The AS qualification makes up 50% of the marks for the full A-level. You are assessed by a mixture of coursework and examinations during the two years of study
- With A-Levels you can progress to university or into employment.
BTEC Extended Diploma:
- This is another two year course which is worth three A-levels. The main difference is there are no examinations; you are assessed on coursework
- With a BTEC Extended Diploma you can progress to university or into employment.
- We offer GCSE courses in: Science, Mathematics, English, Psychology, French and Dance.
Minimum entry requirements
You will need a minimum of six C grades at GCSE to take AS Levels and a minimum of five C grades at GCSE to follow a BTEC Extended Diploma at NPT Sixth Form Academy. Some courses will specify good grades in particular subjects at GCSE. Further details can be found within our prospectus.
- For A level Mathematics, a grade B in GCSE Mathematics is required.
- For A level Physics a Grade B in GCSE Mathematics is recommended
- For science A levels it is recommended that you have achieved a grade B at the higher tier paper of additional or triple science
Students who achieve mainly A or A* grades at GCSE will have the opportunity to follow our Gifted and Talented programme.
Choosing what’s right for you
One of the many benefits of studying at NPT Sixth Form Academy is the wide range of subject choices. We offer 45 AS/A2 subjects in total.
Try to choose subjects that:
- Allow you to progress along your chosen career path
- You have an interest and motivation to learn
- You are most likely to be successful at.
Start by taking a good look at our prospectus and make sure you come along to one of our Open Evenings.
|BTEC Extended Diploma||3 A Levels|
|BTEC Subsidiary Diploma||1 A Level|
|BTEC Level 2 Diploma||4 GCSEs|