Rising Star Shines at College

Brecon Beacons College is nurturing an array of talented athletes in Wales, with one student set to represent her country in the upcoming National Championships.

The College, as part of NPTC Group of Colleges, boasts badminton sensation Clarisse Ann Lamsen as one of its sports students, who is combining her studies with winning tournaments.

Having represented Powys u17’s in the sport, Clarisse recently competed in the Welsh Colleges Badminton Tournament at the National Sports Centre in Cardiff.

She went on to win all seven of her matches, and will now represent Wales in the National Championships in March 2018.

Clarisse’s parents introduced her to the sport aged 11 and she was playing competitively just three years later.

Still only 16, Clarisse has already won singles, mixed doubles and doubles in competitions across Powys, and is now putting the same efforts into her studies to pursue a career in sport.

After attending Builth Wells High School, Clarisse enrolled on the BTEC Sports Science course.

It’s a decision she feels is not only benefitting her career prospects, but is also reaping the rewards on the court.

“I came to College because I heard how good the sports department was and I wanted to improve my overall game in badminton with respect to nutrition, fitness and psychology,” she said.

“My tutors are very well qualified and have already improved me as a player. Steve Thomas has been working on my psychology and Chay Billen has helped me with my diet and fitness. Rhian Davies is also working on my fitness and strength training.

“Before tournaments, they help me make sure I’m eating properly, getting plenty of rest and training.”

For now, Clarisse is focusing on her studies. But with the National Championships looming, the Brecon student is hoping that she can continue to make the step up.

“I was very excited to win all my games and it gave me great confidence for the future. I am delighted to be representing Wales and realise that I now have to raise my game to another level.

“I have to make sure I keep focusing on my studies as well, and I would like a career in sport.

“I’m not really sure which area yet but probably more towards coaching, and the good thing is the course I’m doing means I could go into all sorts of different areas.

“As for my badminton, I want to take it to National level. These championships in March will be a big test for me, hopefully I can prove myself and show I’m good enough to be representing my country.”