Growing Success for Sam

Brecon Beacons College (Part of NPTC Group of Colleges) Horticulture student Sam Vaughan bagged himself a job, all thanks to the skills he learned whilst studying the Level 1 Horticulture course.

The 24-year-old recently started his new job at Abergavenny Garden Centre after gaining valuable experience from the Horticulture course he studied at the College including skills in cultivation, dividing plants, and sowing seeds. Theoretical assignments consisted of garden design, plant anatomy, and plant identification.

Abergavenny Garden Centre, a family run business established for over 60 years, is a garden centre with a difference, as they still have a very strong connection with growing, as can be seen in their working nursery. It’s set in the shadow of the Blorenge Mountain in rural South Wales where you can enjoy the scenery which attracts visitors from far and wide, whilst enjoying a large selection of plant products.

Sam has been able to maximise his skills developed in the first year of his studies at College to successfully gain employment as a nurseryman.

Sam said: “The College has given me the advantage to secure a job within the horticultural industry by giving me the confidence and knowledge to pursue a job and through the recommendation of my tutors, Simon Penn and Richard Williams, without whom, I would not have secured the job.”

Throughout the course, Sam was assessed by practical and theoretical assignments.

He adds: “I found the course via the NPTC Group of Colleges website. The College has supported me in every facet of my education, including resitting my GCSE and providing extra academic support when I needed it. “

Sam goes onto say: “The College has been instrumental in the support it has provided in pursuit of my career. Without the knowledge and inspiration of my tutors, I would not have come this far. ”

Congratulations Sam!

You can find more information on the garden Abergavenny Garden Centre here: Click for more