Lucy Competes at the National Finals

NPTC Group of Colleges hair and beauty department has been celebrating medals at the national finals of the World Skills competition. Newtown student Lucy Lewis achieved a bronze medal competing in the Beauty Therapy Practitioner category, alongside fellow beauty student Aimee Nurse from Afan College who competed in the Beauty Therapist category.

Both students held their nerves to show off their talents in make-up and massage whilst being assessed. Lucy had to complete a body exfoliation followed by a back of body massage, then a full manicure with a French polish result, finishing with a make-up inspired total look.

Lucy said: “I was extremely happy and surprised to find out that I had got through to the last eight in the UK, and I’m so grateful to have had so many opportunities to show off my skills during competitions. I am completely over the moon with my bronze medal in the UK finals, and would like to thank my incredible tutor, Lisa Brandon, who has been the biggest support to me and encouraged me every step of the way.”

Lecturer for Applied Therapies at Newtown College, Lisa Brandon said: ‘It’s been so hard for the students this time with a lot fewer opportunities to practice face to face due to restrictions in place because of the pandemic. So, they really have done well, and we are so proud of them. Lucy is a delight to train, always keen to learn and has demonstrated such a high skill level. Lucy has been successful in all competitions entered having previously won gold and bronze at Skills Wales competitions and now achieving bronze result in the UK Finals.”