Building the Future – Apprentice Jez

This week we are celebrating National Apprenticeship Week. Becoming an apprentice, you can combine building skills and knowledge through employment and study. At NPTC Group of Colleges, we offer a wide range of apprenticeships through our Pathway Training unit.

Pathways Training supports young people aged over 16 years to develop work-related skills and qualifications in their chosen careers.

In Powys, apprentices are learning from the best as the College has joined forces with EvaBuild to help develop construction workers for the future. EvaBuild is a prominent business in Wales, with ten years of trading experience.

One of those apprentices is Jez Wheeldon. Jez has worked at EvaBuild since May 2020 when he started on work experience, then in July 2020, he started his official apprenticeship aged 17 years.  He splits his working week to one day at Newtown College where he studies Construction and the Built Environment Level 3, and the remaining four days he spends in the office.  He is mentored by the Operations Director and is genuinely his right-hand man.  Jez is responsible for planning and booking plant/machinery, preparing quotes for projects that are of significant value and dealing with suppliers.

Jez said: ‘During my time at EvaBuild, I have progressed significantly. I have been introduced to different aspects of the business enabling me to hold responsibilities where applicable. Since leaving school and beginning my apprenticeship at EvaBuild I have realised the importance of workplace experience. I gain on-the-job experience at EvaBuild whilst completing my qualification at Newtown College. As an apprentice at EvaBuild, I feel that I am provided with significant tasks which affect the daily operations of the business, I feel this responsibility makes my future at EvaBuild exciting.”

Clare Ward, NPTC Group of Colleges training officer said: ‘If you listened to Jez doing his job you would never know he is an apprentice and only 18 years old as he conducts himself as a seasoned professional. Jez has an amazing future at EvaBuild and progression is almost certain for him, and we are very proud that we have helped Jez to start his career in such a positive way.’

For more information on apprenticeships, click the button below:

Apprenticeships