Oisin proves his designs are ‘Out of this World!’

Art student Osian Morris stands alsongside his work, a giant metalic spider and a disembodied robot.

Oisin Morris, an Art and Design Student at Newtown College, recently took on the challenge to create artworks which would meet the requirements of a sci-fi installation for a private event.

Students studying the Level 3 Art and Design course are required to produce a piece of work for a live brief.  The work is time limited and must meet the specifications of the brief.  However, opting to produce a piece of work for an external client meant Oisin had a real-life challenge to complete.

Art lecturer Rob Loupart said: ‘We were so pleased that Oisin took up this challenge, giving him a real-life proposition to meet, working towards a client’s interest and desired outcome. Doing this sort of project with a real timescale is something artists may be faced with and Oisin rose to the challenge. There is more to factor in when creating work for a client than perhaps something of your own choosing. Not simply the client’s expectations and listening to what they want but working with a real deadline, considering size, transportation, safety, and lighting for example.’

Oisin said: ‘The guidelines were quite brief, and my first challenge was to investigate the types of art I could work on. I worked with the client to look at the styles, colours, size, and scale of the work.  I then produced a few diagrams, and the project went from there.’  He went on to explain the models he produced.  ‘I spoke with the client about the types of objects, and I got a feel for a 3D cyber creature on a larger scale. I adapted my ideas so that they could be moved to the event and so they would be secure. After sourcing materials, the biggest pressure was the limited time I had to produce the work.’

Following the function held at the beginning of February Oisin received an email to thank him for his hard work and share with him how well his two models had been received.

Rob Loupart said: ‘Oisin really did pull it out of the bag at the last minute creating two impressive models on a large scale with lots of features to meet the brief. We were so pleased to hear that the clients and guests at the event had really enjoyed seeing his work and that it had met all expectations. It has also proved Oisin can work to an external brief and meet deadlines.’