Student Finance and Student Loans

Student Finance Wales

Student Finance Wales is the Welsh branch of the Student Loans Company, the main provider of student loans throughout the UK.

To complete a student loan application, you will need your UK passport number (or birth certificate if you do not have a valid passport), National Insurance Number and your bank details. The tuition fee loan is paid directly to NPTC Group of Colleges by the Student Loans Company. If you also receive a maintenance loan, it would be paid directly into your bank account.

Any loans you receive will have to be paid back, but you will not start paying anything until you start earning £27,295a year.

Any grants you receive, will not have to be paid back.

Applying for Student Finance

Student Finance for Part-Time Students

Additional Help for Students with Children or Adult Dependents

Funding For Students with Disabilities and Other Needs

Tuition Fee Loan

You could be eligible for a tuition fee loan of up to £9000 a year, this loan is purely to pay for your course’s annual tuition fee and will be paid directly to NPTC Group of Colleges.

Maintenance Loan and Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG)

The Welsh Government Learning Grant and a Maintenance loan are paid to you to help with your living costs, such as rent, food and resources for your course like books, and is paid directly into your bank account. All students will be entitled to the same amount of money to help with living costs, but your household income will be used to determine how much of the money will come from the maintenance loan (Which you have to pay back) and how much will come for the Welsh Government Learning Grant (which you don’t have to pay back). All students in Wales can get at least £1000 from the WGLG. The more WGLG you are entitled to, the less your maintenance loan will be, so that you will get the same amount of money but won’t have as much to pay back.

To find out more or to learn how to apply, click the button below:

Help with Living Costs – Student Finance Wales

Student Finance Wales also offer the following Special Support Grants (which do not need to be paid back)

Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant

Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) is extra help intended to cover some of the additional costs incurred by students who have children.

In the academic year 2021/22 the maximum amount you can get for PLA is £1,821 per year.

You can receive a Childcare Grant (CCG) towards the cost of your childcare if you have children in registered and approved childcare.

In the academic year 2021/22 you can receive up to 85% of your childcare costs up to a maximum of:

  • £179.64 a week for one child; or
  • £307.95 a week for two or more children.

To find out more or to learn how to apply, click the button below:

Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance – Student Finance Wales

Adults Dependants’ Grant (ADG)

The maximum amount of Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG) available in 2021/22 is £3,190 per year. You can only apply for ADG if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you.

If the adult dependant isn’t your husband, wife, partner or civil partner and they have a net annual income of more than £3,923, you can’t get ADG.

To find out more or to learn how to apply, click the button below:

Adult Dependants’ Grant – Student Finance Wales

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)* is available if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition, Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or specific learning difficulty. DSA is a grant to help pay the essential extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability. You must meet the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

Students can get up to £31,831 of support per year for 2021 to 2022.

What can your DSA pay for?

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, for example, a computer if you need one because of your disability.
  • non-medical helpers, for example, a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter or specialist note-taker.
  • other disability-related study support, for example, having to print additional copies of documents for proofreading.

You might also be eligible for extra help to cover reasonable spending on extra travel costs incurred as a result of your condition.

To find out more or to learn how to apply, click the button below:

Disabled Students’ Allowance – Student Finance Wales

* There may be a cost involved to undertake a DSA assessment. For more information, contact