An Insight into IT at NPTC Group of Colleges

Twenty-year-old Jordan Hamer was unsure about what she wanted to do after completing a previous course at Brecon Beacons College (Part of NPTC Group of Colleges), Jordan knew that she wanted to upskill for when she applied for university. 

The CIT course caught Jordan’s eye. She adds: “I wanted to continue with my education, to learn new skills for the future, since IT is having more of an impact on our daily lives as time goes on.”

Jordan, who achieved a Distinction and two merits adds: “I loved going to college because I made the most amazing group of friends who I was able to have fun with and create amazing memories with.”

Jordan, who works in part-time retail, plans to start an Open University course in October where she will study English Language. From here Jordan hopes to go on to a PGCE qualification and start a teaching career, teaching students abroad in English as their second language. 

Zilvinas Milvyas aged 19, applied to join the Level 3 course in IT at Brecon College in 2017. As he did not have the entry requirements, he enrolled in the Level 2 course in IT which allowed him to develop his English skills as it is his second language. After successfully completing his course, he progressed onto the Level 3 programme. In 2019, Zil received the John Brunt Award which is bestowed on a student who has triumphed over adversity. 

Zil who achieved a triple Merit in the course adds: “I chose to go to Brecon Beacons College because it was the next best choice for me since I didn’t have high enough grades to go to sixth form. I personally think that if I have gone to sixth form I wouldn’t have enjoyed it so I don’t regret my decision. In college, I enjoyed the group discussions and classwork encouraged me to work with others and come out of my comfort zone. I am currently going to study video game development at the University of South Wales for 4 years. I hope to eventually have my own business which will produce video games.” 

The Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT course, with Level 1 and 2 also offered at Brecon Beacons College, is a stepping stone to many careers. Whatever you decide to do you need to be aware of cybersecurity and regulations, how to manage information and projects, how social media can be used to promote, and above all, how IT can be used within a business. You may also want to design and develop a game, create a website, design a logo, graphic, or animation, and create mobile apps using programming. As you can see, this course offers well-rounded knowledge in different areas of IT and is suitable for all students interested in IT.

Contact helen.griffiths@nptcgroup.ac.uk for further information on courses ranging from Level 1 to Level 3.